Welcome to justthoughtsnstuff

I started posting to jtns on 20 February 2010 with just one word, 'Mosaic'. This seemed an appropriate introduction to a blog that would juxtapose fragments of memoir and life-writing. Since 1996, I'd been coming to terms with the consequences of emotional and economic abuse that had begun in childhood, and which, amongst other things, had sought to stifle self-expression. While I'd explored some aspects of my life through fiction and, to a lesser extent, journalism, it was only in 2010 that I felt confident enough to write openly about myself. I believed this was an important part of the healing process. Yet within weeks, the final scenes of my family's fifty-year nightmare started to play themselves out and the purpose of the blog became one of survival through writing. Although some posts are about my family's suffering - most explicitly, Life-Writing Talk, with Reference to Trust: A family story - the majority are about happier subjects (including, Bampton in rural west Oxfordshire, where I live, Oxford, where I work, the seasons and the countryside, walking and cycling) and I hope that these, together with their accompanying photos, are enjoyable and positive. Note: In February 2020, on jtns' tenth birthday, I stopped posting to this blog. It is now a contained work of life-writing about ten years of my life. Frank, 21 February 2020.

New blog: morethoughtsnstuff.com.

Saturday 3 May 2014

working weekend, autumn king, cold start, sir robert taylor, digital icons, queen sofia, diary management




















Something of a working weekend, despite having Monday off. Lots of work to do, although it is nice to be doing this at home.

Not all work, nevertheless. Planted some Autumn King carrots and some Boltardy beetroots just now on the allotment, as well as doing a bit of tidying, in the beautiful summer-seeming sunshine.

A cold start to the day, however, when I went cycling. A sharp frost in places - photos above. Relieved to have put the runner bean plants in the shed overnight.

Went to a fascinating talk at the Taylor Institution on Wednesday that was organised by a colleague. Its subject was the private collection of books on architecture that were once owned by the building's benefactor, the architect and sculptor Sir Robert Taylor (famous for his designs of parts of the Bank of England, now long since demolished). It was wonderful to have the chance of looking at the books themselves after the talk. (Hopefully some photos of the books will be available online soon - if they appear, I'll post the link.)

Met with a friend for a drink on Thursday after work. She has recently joined the editorial team at a wonderful online journal called Digital Icons, which focuses on Russian, Eurasian and Central European new media. A brilliant example of so-called born-digital academic publications that exist online only and represent the very best aspects of the web.

On Tuesday, the Queen of Spain visited the Taylor to attend a lecture given by Professor Edwin Williamson, prior to attending 700th anniversary celebrations at Exeter College, where she is an honorary fellow. I'd wanted to go to the lecture too but had a Research Data Management meeting instead (really must improve my diary management...).

No comments:

Post a Comment