Welcome to justthoughtsnstuff

I started posting to jtns on 20 February 2010 with just one word, 'Mosaic'. This seemed an appropriate introduction to a blog that would juxtapose fragments of memoir and life-writing. Since 1996, I'd been coming to terms with the consequences of emotional and economic abuse that had begun in childhood, and which, amongst other things, had sought to stifle self-expression. While I'd explored some aspects of my life through fiction and, to a lesser extent, journalism, it was only in 2010 that I felt confident enough to write openly about myself. I believed this was an important part of the healing process. Yet within weeks, the final scenes of my family's fifty-year nightmare started to play themselves out and the purpose of the blog became one of survival through writing. Although some posts are about my family's suffering - most explicitly, Life-Writing Talk, with Reference to Trust: A family story - the majority are about happier subjects (including, Bampton in rural west Oxfordshire, where I live, Oxford, where I work, the seasons and the countryside, walking and cycling) and I hope that these, together with their accompanying photos, are enjoyable and positive. Note: In February 2020, on jtns' tenth birthday, I stopped posting to this blog. It is now a contained work of life-writing about ten years of my life. Frank, 21 February 2020.

New blog: morethoughtsnstuff.com.

Saturday 7 June 2014

walking from wolvercote, stone, bridge, teaching


















Have taken to getting off the bus at the top of the Woodstock Road, if I have time in hand, walking to Wolvercote and joining the Oxford canal by the green opposite the Plough.

For the first ten minutes of the walk to the city, it's as if you are in the countryside, with meadows and small copses and reed beds off to the right. There are also quite a number of narrowboats moored up. These have seen better days compared to the ones nearer the town but they are often brightly painted.

I came across the stone, above, just past Wolvercote - at first I thought it was a milestone or something that was used for tying up barges but now suspect it must have had some sort of plate screwed to it. I had imagined that the holes went right through the stone but they are only a centimetre or so deep, so perhaps they were screw fixings.

Love the raised bridge further along the canal below St Edward's school.

Did Prince2 project management methodology training yesterday - described as 'documented common sense' by the trainer. A lot to take in but potentially very useful for work.

Teaching in Oxford this morning and doing a Skype tutorial from home later.


No comments:

Post a Comment